Friday, November 21, 2008

as a woman.

I am proud, grateful, escstatic, and unashamedly stoked to be a woman. To me, it's almost like being a superhero-- it's really awesome, and you get to do all this awesome stuff but it's a huge responsibility. Being a woman isn't just getting dolled up or giving birth or having boobs, it's really about being strong throughout all your fragility. It;s about being a pillar and a foundation for your friends and family. Its about knowing when to get swept off your feet, and when to sweep the losers out onto the doorstep.

Women get a bad rap when we try to level the playing field because we're in a male driven society, and they've got to resort to low level black balling. Because we present a challenge. I have always believed that women could do anything men can do and thenn some; my favorite example is Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. People go on and on about how amazing Fred Astaire is, and he's got countless schools named for him. But Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in heels. Case in point? She's got him beat, especially since she made it look flawless.

Personally, the woman I'm becoming is resilient, optimistic, cynical, cutting, thick skinned and always classy. I stand by my belief that a woman is always multi-faceted, unlike her simple companion, man. So I am always deep, different and all encompassing. I'm compassionate, passionate, empathetic, and utterly mad at times. As a woman, I can go completely off my rocker on a friend and then as soon as that mood is gone help them gather their wits and send them on their way with a hug and a kiss. I am completely comfortable with my emotions and my lack of shame; if I were a man, this would prove to be problematic, but because I'm a woman I'm "allowed". Emotions aren't a sign of weakness, they're a sign of strength. It's hard work to face how you're feeling, confront it and muster up the courage to show the world exactly how much it hurts or not. Anyone can shut up their emotions in a jar and never address it, but it takes skill to lay everything on the table and accept it at face value.

As a woman, I am moving onwards and upwards. Keep up or get out of the way. I'm a classy boss bitch on a tear for the top, and I only roll with the best of my fellow women.

No comments: